Friday, May 19, 2006

Looking for a new job blues

I think I'm job averse. I've had plenty. Actually enjoyed some of the things I've done, but....basically the business world sucks. Most of the reason behind my lack of enthusiasm is due to the profession that I chose. Accounting. Don't go into accounting. Everything you have ever heard about accountants is because they get beaten down by accounting. It is boring. It is repetetive. It is not a social profession. It is you and a bunch of numbers and rules. Sometimes you get to discuss what rule to use for certain numbers and some times you even get to talk about how to interpret the rule and make a decision, but mostly it's just following the rules and plugging in the numbers. I wish someone would have told me that when I was in college. I was naive in college. I was young in college. Most 18 year olds don't have the capacity to understand that what they study will have such an effect on their entire lives. You think you do, but you don't. I think it is a bit different today than it was 20 years ago, at least I hope it is. The internet and the dot com era had something to do with that, but for someone who is 42 and is just realizing that what they have been doing for 20 years is not as fulfilling as they would like, it is hard to find a new profession. There are responsibilities to the people you support to think of. You can't just go back to school for 4 more years to learn something new and going out on your own to run something that might be of interest is very risky and takes capital. Are you willing to jeopardize all you have for a new start? It is not a fun position to be in. Most small businesses do not work on a long term basis. Success usually comes after at least one failure. For all the people that have taken the chance and succeeded, many more have failed. Do you have the confidence that you will be able to make things work no matter what? Can you subject the rest of your family to that for the sake of being happier in your daily work environment? Unfortunately I am very analytical and I tend to over-analyze and I need to quantify the positives and negatives and there is no way to do that. It is a matter of the heart and what you want out of life and how can you make the best compromise to have the best quality of life possible.

No comments: