Monday, May 08, 2006

New York Style Bar Mitzvah

My wife and I went to a relative's Bar Mitzvah yesterday in NYC. I'm still not sure how we spent 6 hours at a Bar Mitzvah, but I'll try to fill you in on some of the details. Stop me when you've had enough. Let's start with the Temple. http://www.emanuelnyc.org/ We were in the smallest of 4 sanctuaries and this one held 257 people. The largest was being restored. It holds 2,500. After the service, we climbed onto double decker buses to take us to the Rainbow Room for the reception. http://www.rainbowroom.com/index.htm The kids were immediately wisked off to a casino where they honed their skills on craps and blackjack and roullette. The parents ate and drank. Sushi, tenderloin, passed appetizers, cold salads, pasta, vegetables, and a full bar. For over an hour. I was full, I was buzzed and I would have been very pleased with the event if it would have ended there. It didn't. We were summoned by a cross between a dinner bell and the Bells of Notre Dame to go to another room. Table number 5 - right next to the speakers. Speakers for the entertainment troupe - an emcee, DJ, and 5 Dancers! Yes, 5 dancers to help grandma boogie and to get the kids out on the dance floor - that didn't happen - not the 13 year olds anyway. I don't think it is socially acceptable to dance if you are a 13 year old boy. But you can play "Crazy musical chairs". We didn't get to stay around for the 3 foot chocolate fountain - our babysitter bill was building into 3 digits - but by that time we were full, both physically, mentally and emotionally. It was quite a spectacle and as over the top as it seemed, it never once felt that way. We had a great time and were honored to be invited to such a great event. We wish the Bar Mitzvah boy much success.

No comments: